To Scott Klement, Vern Hamburg, & Jeff Silverberg, and a few others.

Just wanted to give you an update:

As you may recall, I had some problems a few weeks ago with a MS Message
Queue & Biztalk vender who couldn't really define what they wanted in
terms of start block and end block characters and the problems it was
causing in regards to my ILE RPG socket programs. (That issue has been
settled.)

Long story short - it's not me - it's them. The RPG sockets programs are
sending the data. The vendor says they can see the connection but no data
is getting through. An iSeries comm trace showed the data, and the IP
addresses of the source & target systems and the data as well.

I also managed to find a neat tool called 7Scan that is a pc based HL7
parser that sends and receives HL7 data using sockets. I created a program
to use my iSeries data with this product. We then used a network sniffer
and they still had the same problems - they could see the connection but
claimed the data wasn't getting through - zero packets. We showed them
those logs too showing the source/target IP addresses and the data. The
really funny thing was that their servers were sending acknowledgements
for each message sent over the sockets.They could no longer blame the
iSeries since the canned PC app worked the same way. They are stumped.
They still cannot get past it.

I'm not asking for any input or help here as the ball is purely in their
court now. I just wanted to share.

Scott - your tutorial was of great value - thanks so much. Also thanks to
all who provided their input too.

Have a wonderful holiday !

Regards,

Gerald Kern
IBM Certified AS/400 RPG IV Developer & RPG IV Programmer
MIS Project Leader, Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535