From: Andy Nolen-Parkhouse [mailto:aparkhouse@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:35 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Ending TCP/IP, FTP jobs in QSYSWRK

Jim,

I don't have a system to check on right now, but my recollection is that
these QTFTPxxxxx jobs are pre-start jobs.  If these jobs are being used many
thousands of times and then taking forever to clean themselves up, you may
want to look at the pre-start job entry in the subsystem.  One of the
parameters is MAXUSE, which will determine how many times a job can process
requests before it is ended.  On your system, what is the value for this
parameter?  If it is *NOMAX, perhaps you would benefit by setting this to a
hundred or so.  Valid values are between one and one thousand, or *NOMAX.
You might end up incurring some additional overhead during normal
operations, but it might lessen the amount of cleanup required for a
shutdown.  It sounds as though this is a significant source of irritation
for you.

You would use the WRKSBSD (Work with Subsystem Description) command to view
the pre-start job entries and CHGPJE (Change Pre-Start Job Entry) to change
the values which control the jobs.  Because this is an IBM thing, you might
need to re-apply changes following PTF's or upgrades.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

> On Behalf Of Jim Damato
> Subject: RE: Ending TCP/IP, FTP jobs in QSYSWRK