Adam:

My first recommendation is to go to the InfoCenter and start learning the
basics of Work Management. A quick search should lead you to a topic like <How
work gets processed> and a lot about memory pools is referenced there.

>From the Work Management guide, a couple items that I've noticed about *BASE:

1. "*BASE is the base storage pool that contains all unassigned main storage on
the system; that is, all storage that is not required by the machine storage
pool or by another pool."

2. "The storage pools that you define decrease the size of the base storage
pool."

Somewhere in years past, I recall seeing a writeup that describes memory
"movement" from one pool to another. I might be misremembering, but I believe
from the above two points that whenever memory is reassigned from pool X to
pool Y, it must be assigned to *BASE as an intermediate step.

For me, the implication has been that I don't want _any_ jobs running in *BASE
if I can help it. That includes jobs from IBM-supplied prestart job entries,
autostart jobs, etc. I define at least a couple *SHRPOOLxx pools and assign
them to subsystems such as QSYSWRK in order to have subsystem pools I can
associate with routing entries, etc.; and I change _all_ such entries to avoid
*BASE. If all kinds of stuff is running in *BASE, how effectively can memory be
managed?

This allows me to have a *BASE that mostly does what Work Management says it
should do -- act as my unused memory repository. When I need to know if my
system has enough physical memory, the first quick check is then simply to see
if *BASE regularly has memory to spare.

By assigning pools, one advantage can be that memory is immediately available.
Perhaps not as much as the job will eventually need, but you can allocate
enough to give a job somewhere to start without competing with too many other
jobs. If memory is in use elsewhere, it takes time to reassign it. By not
assigning pools, you lose a lot of your ability to make subsequent performance
related decisions.

Of course, if you don't have enough physical memory in the first place, it
might all be moot.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta