From: Pete Helgren [mailto:pete@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 1:49 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Certificate is not signed by a trusted certificate authority -
java error

Mike, we had an internal e-mail that dealt with a customer who had a
certificate in IIS which they had to export to have Tomcat recognize it.
These are the instructions which may or may not help but perhaps give you a
clue:

Export the certificate from IIS as follows:

Start Internet Services Manager on your 2000 Server Open the default web
site properties (or a virtual directory's properties, if the certificate is
associated with that) Click the Directory Security tab Click "View
Certificate"
Click the Details tab
Click "Copy to File"
In the wizard, choose "Yes, export the private key"
Choose PKCS #12 format without the strong protection (an IIS thing only)
Assign a private key password (example: secret1) Pick a destination file -
like \win2k\mycert.pfx

A keystore file must already exist in order to move the certificate in the
pfx file to the Java keystore file.  If you don't already have one, here's
how you can create a keystore file:

cd \j2sdk1.4.2\bin
keytool -genkey -alias junk -keyalg RSA -keystore \tomcat\keystore Example
of a password to assign when prompted: secret2

Here's how to copy the pfx file to the keystore file:

Copy the attached files to \j2sdk1.4.2\bin cd \j2sdk1.4.2\bin java keymove
pkcs12 \win2k\mycert.pfx secret1 jks \tomcat\keystore secret2

If you created a "junk" key pair just to build the keystore file, you can
get rid of it by doing the following:

cd \j2sdk1.4.2\bin
keytool -delete -alias junk -keystore \tomcat\keystore

Once that is done, the \tomcat\keystore file can be referenced in Tomcat's
server.xml configuration in the 8443 connector's XML tag/attributes.  An
example of that is:

    <!-- Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->

              enableLookups="true"
              acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
              useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true">
      <Factory
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
               clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS"
               keystoreFile="c:\Tomcat\keystore"
               keystorePass="secret2"/>
    </Connector>

Not sure what server you are running but this might get the "creative
juices" flowing.

Pete Helgren
Timp Tech/Ed Tech Labs