Murali

When you want to get information into a CL program, usually you use a RTV* command - try GO CMDRTV (or type RTV* on a command line) and dig around - you will find something there, I assure you. You can look at a RTV* command interactively but will be told it does not run in that environment - ture, it will only run in a program, as it puts values in variables you specify.

If you have not done so already, get very familiar with the CMD* menus. Type GO CMD* to see the whole list. An appendix in the CL Programming Guide, I believe, has lots of help on how to find information on various commands on the system, how they are named, etc. It's all very reasonable, built around verbs and subjects.

In other languages (and sometimes CL - sorry, Rob), you probably want the various "retrieve" APIs and sometimes the "list" APIs.

Good luck
Vern