If you are part of the crowd that thinks running RPGIII is fine, and have no
interest in
advanced, integrated applications, or portability between hardware
platforms,
then the conference in not for you.
I started this part of the thread with an answer as to "what IBM is doing
to bring more customers to the platform". The answer is that one thing they
are doing
is hosting a developers conference to show the new features to not only
iSeries
developers, but also z and pSeries. IBM is promoting the idea to port your
zSeries
or pSeries app to the iSeries, or just develop on the iSeries. And with more
ISVs
(independent software vendors) writing more code for iSeries, we will see
more
customers on the platform. IBM Partnerworld is for ISVs and Business
Partners of all
IBM platforms.
Because as you stated, " To *support* iSeries in 2004, all one needs to do
is code RPG-III"
does nothing to bring new customers to the box, and is a major reason
iSeries
sales are slipping. Many in the current base are going nowhere with their
applications.
An upgrade every 5 years is not going to keep this platform going.
jim