I can also warmly recommend FMTDTA, but don't tell anybody. It's like telling a
java programmer that you use RPG

For those of you with historic interest:

s/3: $DSORT
s/34: #DSORT
s/38: Not part of the operating system CPF in earliest releases (because the
'modern way' was LF's), but for the use when migrating from s/3 or s/34-36 an
additional payable product "Conversion Reformat Utility".
AS/400 - iSeries: FMTDTA

Tested it once to read an existing LF based on two PF's. Faster to sort it with
FMTDTA into a temporary use-once file and read this with blocking than to read
the existing LF.

There IS a free (?) utility command out there (SORTF?) that prompts for file
name, field names, key fields etc, then creates the QTEMP/QFMTSRC source needed
and finally runs the FMTDTA. Anybody knowing a link?

Henrik