> Rob wrote:
> I am getting a new PC at work.  The tech's latest rage is putting on XP.
> However I've been given the option of remaining on Win2000 Pro.
>
> My typical workload will have:
> Five 5250 sessions open
> Notes R6 Client and Administrator
> 5 or 6 browser sessions
> iSeries Navigator
> WDSC and/or Code/400
> Excel
> Word
> My 'tray' includes:
> TrendMicro Office Scan Corporate Edition
> Sametime
> Desktop Weather by The Weather Channel
> Code Communication Daemon
> IBM Community Tools
>
> Based on this, should I care one way or the other which I run?  And why?
>
> I ask this on this list to primarily see if any of these products,
> (especially iSeries ones) have "issues" with XP.

Rob,
I have used both, but after using it for 1 1/2 years, I now prefer XP
Professional.

I have my laptop (3-year old Dell Inspiron 8000 w/384mb memory & 60gb HD)
configured as a dual-boot system with both W2K and XP Pro.  XP Pro boots up
about 50% faster than W2K and IMO it runs slightly faster.  I keep the W2K
partition mainly for the day when I run into an application that won't work
or install properly on XP...but so far I haven't found one.

XP has several built-in features that require 3rd-party software on earlier
OS'es, like built-in support for ZIP files (compressed folders), a filmstrip
view within folders for viewing pictures, firewall support, remote
assistance (lets you help or get help from someone over the internet),
remote desktop (which requires terminal services client on W2K).

XP also has built-in support (although somewhat limited) for CD burners.

I think XP Pro is the best effort yet by M$...many people complain about the
activation and other features that allow them to spy on you, but I'm not too
worried about those issues.

Don't skimp on memory...with all of the applications that you are running I
would probably want to have 1 1/2 - 2 gb of memory on the new system,
particularly if you are keeping CODE running most of the time.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935