James,

I'm not on a first-name basis with Mr. Torvalds and have never met any of
the principles involved.  Nor have I been indoctrinated into the Linux
Religion or the whole *nix cult, in general.  So your understanding of the
details is probably better than mine...  However (I dunno who said
originally, but a lotta people have said more-or-less), "History is the
recollection of the winners".  Meaning the History we read in books, and the
press and Net for current events, is largely a convenient subset of the
facts.

The story you are telling is one I've heard many, many times before, told in
this same fashion (and I'm going to avoid calling it a fairy-tale because
the "facts", as presented, as somewhat accurate).  I'm have no doubt Linus
Torvalds intended more good than harm, as you imply...  However, the truths
you are expressing are /very *partial*/ truths...

I say that because you're telling of the story leaves out most of the key
players in the saga.

I would be curious as to your understanding of the roles of Eric S. Raymond
(ESR http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/) and Bruce Perens, for example,
and the man whose shoulders they stood on, Richard M. Stallman (RMS).  This
story began WAY before Mr. Torvalds coded the first line, I'm sure of that,
and continues on (I believe) largely on the work of Dr. Lawrence Lessig
(http://www.lessig.org/blog/) among many others.

Perhaps you'd care to flush out more of the facts, (as you see them)??

jt