From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: Sunday, October 19, 2003 1:58:11 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Limiting Console signon

Hi Dave

You've had a number of replies suggesting technical solutions to you
problem. Can I suggest that since the problem is not technical (its a
people thing) your solution should be more oriented towards what is causing
the problem.

Quite simply, warn your operators that you consider it a dismissable
offense to compromise the console in this way. (Obviously you need to
consult with your HR guys here)

I can't quite come around to the idea that it is worth messing with access
to a device that can on occasion be your only way into the system just
because some of your guys won't do as instructed. It seems to me this just
increases the risk that when you really need the console something will
come unstuck.

Regards
Evan Harris