--- Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Don, can you copy from the /QNTC/... directory to
> one on your iSeries? That
> one could, I assume, be saved. You can copy a
> directory tree recursively in
> QShell with the cp command.
>
> You might run into CCSID issues. The language
> setting for ifles in /QNTC
> don't always report their CCSID, in my experience.
> NT, IIRC, is 1252.
>
> One drawback is the disk space used, even
> temporarily. You could walk the
> /QNTC
>
> HTH
Vern,
I thought about handling the copy myself, but haven't
mentioned it yet.  Knowing that If I do, I'll then be
responsible for all the PC Server Data.  In the
meantime, I let them copy it themselves.  If a restore
is needed, then I plan to restore to the IFS Share and
let them copy to the server of their choice.

I was hoping that a straight copy to/from the IFS
(without being used within iSeries applications) would
handle the CCSID formatting.

It would be nice to be able to assign my 'qntc/XX'
directories to BRMS and let the backup happen.  That
would allow a straight backup to their server without
using iSeries Disk space.

One thing that I'm getting out of this is that I've
been authorized to purchase more iSeries DASD.  This
would include another expansion box...etc.

I would like to purchase Tivoli or something similar,
but I don't believe that is going to happen.  Does
anyone know how Tivoli does their PC Server backups &
could the process or something similar be duplicated
on the iSeries?

One thing I've learned is that the iSeries plays well
with the PC community, but the PC community doesn't
necessarily play well with the iSeries.

Thanks for all the responses.

Don McIntyre