Joe,

Was there more than one SCSI cable to the board? It's way cool when you get them back on there in the wrong order. The system appears to operate normally (ok actually it does) but when you finally lose a drive the thing has them in the wrong place because of the cable switch. So if you use the GUI to find the dead one and don't pay attention to the blinking light when you go to pull it you can crater the machine!! (By causing a second failure in the RAID set.) No I didn't do this but I was wondering why the light in the cage below was blinking instead of the one I expected. Checking serial numbers proved the theory and we got a good laught at the IBM CE's expense!!

And Scott, would this qualify as a 'Stupid DST Trick??'

- Larry (aka Dr. Franken)

Ingvaldson, Scott wrote:

Congrats, Joe. Next you'll be working on a FrankenSeries!

Here's a trick that will impress your friends:

STRSST
1. Start a service tool
4. Display/Alter/Dump
1. Display/Alter storage
1. Machine Interface (MI) object
8. User profile (08)
1. Find by object name Type your user profile, then <enter> twice.
1. Hexadecimal, alter capable

On the third line down (0020) the first character is an 8.  If you change it
to an A the profile is marked as damaged.  It will work as normal until the
next IPL, and then be blown away.

In the CISC days at IBM, when we couldn't get a device to vary off we would
damage it this way and then IPL and let it auto create.  Haven't had to do
it in a long time though....

Have a good one,

Scott