Buck,

Actually, developers really shouldn't have authority to any production
object - bad programs can mess up production data just as quickly as a bad
restore.

i've been in different places where i've had full authority to everything
to no authority at all and everywhere in between.

I personally like having a free reign, and don't abuse the authority - I
trust myself, and most of the folks i've done work for trusted me to do the
right thing as well.

But I have on the rare occasion accidently 'dirtied' production data and
had to 'fix' it.   It's not fun, but when i have that much power, I usually
am very careful and deliberate and have plenty of CYA procedures in place.

But I also realize that, for public companys, the users--> managers must
have ownership and be accountable for all data in a system.

I currenly have very little authority outside my own little world and with
no change management/promotion/installation software in place, it makes my
job tougher - especially when I'm trouble shooting production problems.
but I understand the issue and know my place.   :(

rick