I have come across several customers systems (mostly 170's and 270's) with
the 2763 and the dead cache battery problem.  As a dead snail doesn't move
at all, I'd have to correct you and say without the cache battery it runs
about as fast as a live snail.  :-)   It is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow during a
release upgrade owing to the intensive write activity.  You could easily
double or triple your upgrade time if you try it with a dead cache
battery.  A quick clue you have the problem (assuming you haven't been
monitoring QSYSOPR messages, or checked WRKPRB) is to do WRKDSKSTS and
press F11, and if you see DEGRADED under protection status you probably
need the battery replaced.  IBM should have stuck an Energizer bunny in
those things !

...Neil

Jeffry Kennedy <jkennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
2003/09/30 14:32

AS/400 Questions <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
DASD Controller 2763 (820 Only)

This past weekend during a V5R1 to V5R2 upgrade the Cache Backup Battery
on our 2763 DASD Controller Card went South. Without Cache, the AS/400
is about as fast a dead snail.
After waiting for 2 1/2 hours for IBM CE to arrive, we powered down the
box and the CE removed the card, only to find out that the battery on
the 2763's plug has 3 connections versus the normal 2, so 4 hours later
when a new card arrived (faster than the battery) we up and running
again.

If you have an 820 with a 2763 Card, you might what to check with your
IBM support person to verify they stock this battery.