Not necessarily. If you have an iSeries you always are able to install the
iSeries Access emulator. However, if you try to connect to an iSeries on
which you haven't added licensing info. for iSeries Access you will be
unable to connect through the iSeries Accesss emulator. Other 5250
emulators will work fine without requiring licenses.

I don't know why they charge for emulator access other than to have a way
to charge shops for each user accessing the system. No biggie for some of
my systems - I just don't pay for the licenses and can use iSeries
Navigator and another emulator.

One other feature that is licensed is data transfer.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified Associate System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6
803.326.7270 (W)
803.326.6142 (F)
chris.whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent by: CWHISONANT@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/24/2003 04:24 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Check this out. iSeries Access for Linux!!

So the one thing they normally charge for, they have available free?

Benjamin Franklin

Chris Whisonant <Chris.Whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
09/24/2003 02:21 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Check this out. iSeries Access for Linux!!

They don't charge for the client software. However, to access a server
using iSeries Access 5250 emulator you do have to have server licenses per

connecting user. Most, if not all, of the iSeries Navigator functions do
not require licenses.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified Associate System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6
803.326.7270 (W)
803.326.6142 (F)
chris.whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Adam Lang <aalang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: CWHISONANT@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/24/2003 03:18 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Check this out. iSeries Access for Linux!!

I think he express software they don't charge for, you jsut have to have
licensing for certain functionality on the AS/400 end, right?