Andy and Carl have covered most of the possibilities.  Problem solving and
thinking on one's feet are the crucial elements in this sort of role.  If I
understand the nomenclature, 3rd level is an advanced role?  Which means
that you'd be seeing the nastiest problems: the ones the earlier groups
couldn't solve.  I agree that the position you are looking at could very
well have a broad variety of hardware and topologies.  I further agree that
there is very little practical advice written down anywhere for beginners to
refer to.  Today, it's pretty much Learn As You Go.

About the only other thing I can mention is that communications is mostly
setup.  That is, once it's set up and running, it works and everybody
forgets the steps they used to get it working.  The key is to document
everything and I do mean Everything.  Every decision you made and your
rationale for it.  I do things like write modem settings on paper and tape
it to the modem, along with a printout of the iSeries config object the
modem is attached to.

Probably, the main troubleshooting skill you will need to master is
determining what changed.  That is to say, comms runs great until something
changes.  ISP's lose routers, long lines drop, CSUs blow fuses.  The worst
is when the infrastructure stays the same but the trading partner changes
something.  It can be nasty work to ferret out what they did on their side
of the wire.

Good luck!
  --buck