Rob:
I would think in order to be a 3rd level comm support guy, you would first
need to do the tasks that the 1st level and 2nd level people do.  Gotta
start at the bottom.  Comms are a different animal.  I have been doing data
comms for over 20 years now, and there is always something new to learn.
The easiest way to diagnose a comm problem are to use problem solving skills
to eliminate 80% of the potential problems/issues and then focus in on the
remaining 20%.

I seriously doubt you are going to find a single source to learn the A to Z
of all the various comm protocols mentioned.  Experience is the key, you
learn by doing, not by reading a book.  (at least that is how I learn).
Most comm protocols are based on the OSI model or use some variation on it,
so that is a good place start.  You need to understand the how the various
levels work and how they relate to one another.  In a nut shell, this is not
a month of intense training and you are done.  You will need to learn TCP/IP
from one place, SNA/APPC from another (not many places teaching that these
days) and BSC from a history book (or from an old guy like me).

One book that I use a lot for IP issues is "learn tcp/ip in 14 days".  Two
years later I still don't know it all, but it was a great book for the
basics.  The rest is all about hands on.

cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service