This is not bigotry.  This is a discussion about IBM replacing a solid
technology with one that has a very spotty record at best.

Dumb tubes are generally far more reliable than PCs.  Terminals don't
have hard drives that fail -- or any moving parts, for that matter,
beyond the keyboard.  Yes, they fail, but not nearly as often as PCs.
Terminals also consume less power and generate less heat (unless you're
using a laptop for your ops console) and in most cases have a smaller
form-factor.

I'm using an InfoWindow from 1997 on my production system.  It's been on
24x7 since installation and has never glitched once.  Prior to June I
had a used InfoWindow on our dev box.  It was used in 1999 when it was
installed.  It too has never glitched or failed.  They aren't even
covered under maintenance.

Truly, the only thing terminals lack in today's world is remote command
capability.  That to me is the sole advantage of a PC-based console.
And is in fact why we replaced the tube on our dev box with an Ops
Console.

How many security patches has IBM had to release for terminals?  How
often are AV signatures updated for terminals?  How many times has a new
firmware release necessitated a terminal hardware upgrade (I say
firmware instead of OS since terminals don't run an actual OS)?

Personally, I feel Ops Consoles has not been implemented properly.  It
should be Linux based ('hardened' kernels are available), run on an IxS
or natively, and use internal disk.  The front of the system should have
a pop-out LCD panel & keyboard or a place for them if they are separate
from the system itself.  Remote control/access is achieved via a LAN
port.