I will try this before the complete re-write

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces+jallen=drvtech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+jallen=drvtech.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Urbanek, Marty
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 12:24 PM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Socket program problem

Sounds like the iSeries side is sending all the data then closing the socket
before the data can be received. On small files you just get lucky and time
it takes to shut down is long enough for the PC to rceive all the data.

I don't see the need to do the ack after every record. I would just do it at
end-of-file.

Just send something back the other way after end-of-file. That means the PC
has to know when the end-of-file has been received. So you need to invent an
end-of-file character or string (any character or string that won't be
present in your actual data), and have the iSeries send that to the PC after
all the data has been sent, THEN have the iSeries go into a receive waiting
for an acknowledgement (invent that too, any character or string you like).

On the PC side, receive the data just as you have been doing, but monitor
for the end-of-file character (or string) and only after it has been
received, send the acknowledgement character (or string) to the iSeries.

This should keep the pipe open until the PC has had a chance to receive all
the data.

Sorry if this has already been suggested - I did not follow this entire
thread.

-Marty