Vern Hamberg wrote:

> Check the 2nd-level text - prior ALCOBJ will not work. IN *LOCK does an
> exclusive lock. You might want to use the E extender (?) in ILE, if
> available, or check the program status for errors.

Vern, what you say is true, but normally a job can get more than one
exclusive lock on an object.  It's normally just exclusive against other
jobs.  RPG has its own rule that it won't allow a lock on the data area
even for the same job, not even just a *SHRRD lock.

I guess RPG behaves this way so that RPG applications can be sure that
only one RPG program is using a data area at one time.  It's not perfect
though - if you have a data area locked by *LOCK IN, I think you could
still do a CHGDTAARA from the same job, since the CHGDTAARA command
doesn't follow RPG's only-one-lock-per-job rule.