From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:59 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: iSeries to Internet via Router (was: Why is the iSeries so
slow)

The LinkSys is not working out for me.  I want to forward the telnet port
from the router to my 170 but I cant get it to work.  Everything works
outbound and I can ping the routers static ip addr from the internet, but
that is it. Putting the 170's 192.xxx ip addr in the dmz of the router
doesnt allow me to telnet to it, and like I said, forwarding the telnet port
to the ip addr of the 170 doesnt help either.  I spent half an hour with
linksys tech support and more time than that on my own, so I am giving up.
( actually, it does not handle VPN, so the LinkSys was a short term solution
all along )

I have found two routers, the cisco 831 and the dlink dfl 300, that sell for
< $500 that provide vpn and look pretty good.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=66

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/ps4873/

-Steve