It's a sign of the times I guess.  When I started to use email and
listservers in the 80s, I thought that email to the other side of the world
in a couple or three days was pretty fast and convenient.  Even now, I use
the news.gmane.org news servers instead of email for most of David's lists.
I look at them twice a day (or more often if I get a break).  I am very
happy with overnight response time.

Why do I feel that way?  Because email is an asynchronous communications
mechanism; like a carrier pigeon.  Put a message in one end, and some time
later it appears at the other end.  If I have an urgent matter and require
immediate assistance, I use the telephone.  This comment is NOT directed at
anybody in particular, it just explains my mentality (meagre as it may be.)

I think it's a sign of the times that people begin to accept near-real-time
email as the natural order of things.  And that's a good thing...
Technology can be wonderful!
  --buck