I guess I'm not understanding your situation. Your original example
wrapped in my email client, so I can't tell if you were using trailing
blanks or not. I assumed you were, since the example wouldn't have made
sense otherwise. Given the following command:

SBMJOB CMD(CALL PGM(CLPGM) PARM('FOO ')) /* one trailing blank */

My joblog shows the following:

-CALL PGM(CLPGM) PARM('FOO ')

The trailing blank has been preserved.

Your next example included the use of a program variable:

SBMJOB CMD(CALL CLPGM PARM(&50CHARVAR)) /* where 50CHARVAR is "FOO" */

As expected, this results in the blanks being stripped during conversion
of the variable value to a constant:

-CALL PGM(CLPGM) PARM('FOO')

When is the system stripping trailing blanks from a value enclosed in
apostrophes?

> I have used the RQSDTA parameter of SBMJOB in the past for a
> purpose that escapes me at the moment.  It might even have
> been for this reason and it is a good way to handle this
> situation.  Perhaps I should just adopt that as a SBMJOB
> standard.  I can't remember whether this appears in the job
> log the way the CALL command does, though.

It does. In fact, it's _only_ RQSDTA that does. It's just that the
default for this parameter is RQSDTA(*CMD), which means "use the value
specified for the CMD parameter".

Regards,

John Taylor