Maybe not really related, but:

FEATURED TIP

RPC/BLASTER WORM SCHEDULED TO ATTACK WINDOWSUPDATE.COM
AUGUST 16TH
A new worm started spreading late Monday evening (UTC),
exploiting the
Windows DCOM RPC vulnerability that was reported by the
U.S.
Department of Homeland Security National Infrastructure
Protection
Center and Microsoft on July 24. (Information on this
vulnerability
also appeared in the last edition of this newsletter.)

As I write this, the virus is behaving benignly, but that
could change
at any time. The virus is spreading rapidly, but not as
rapidly as it
might have if Microsoft hadn't strenuously notified users
of the need
to install patches protecting against it. Many Microsoft
customers
have reported e-mails, phone calls, and faxes from their
sales reps
encouraging them to patch the exposure.

Called the W32.Blaster worm because of the blaster.exe
program it runs
on infected machines to spread itself to other systems, the
virus has
caused a 500 percent increase in Internet-wide traffic on
ports 135-
139, 445, and 593. (See the graphs at the Internet Storm
Center,
http://isc.sans.org/images/port135percent.png .) Other
names include
W32/Lovsan.worm, WORM_MSBLAST.A, Win32.Posa.Worm,
MSBLASTER, and
Win32.Poza.

Analysis of the worm reveals that it appears to be
scheduled to launch
a denial of service attack against Microsoft's Windows
update site,
WindowsUpdate.com, on August 16.

Microsoft offers a patch and a workaround. However, the
workaround
involves ISPs blocking certain TCP/IP ports permanently,
which does
not make it a very practical fix. The patch is less
drastic, but you
must download and install a different patch for each
version of
Windows.

If your machine has already been infected with W32.Blaster,
Symantec
has a removal tool available for download:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

However, you should be aware that Microsoft recommends
completely re-
installing the system from scratch on compromised machines
because the
virus could plant a variety of back doors that are unknown
at this
time.

The original NIPC bulletin is online at

http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2003/Potential72403.htm
.

You should also read Microsoft's security bulletin, which
includes a
link to patches for each version of Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp