From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: Monday, August 04, 2003 4:21:34 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: iSeries vs. Unix vs. SQL Server vs. Oracle

>> My own feelings based on what you say here, is that Microsoft was
learning about their competition in order to build a more competitive
product.

Oh for heavens sake Booth - not everything is a conspiracy! They were
running their blasted business on the things. They admitted that they had
done this with some aspects of their business in the press release that was
mentioned earlier. They had reached a point of plausible deniability so
when Dr Frank when public - this time they responded. Previously when it
had been stated in public they had always "no commented" or stated that a
"replacement project was underway and would be completed with x months" (x
always stayed the same over the 5 year or so period when I was seeing this
stuff.

If a company wants to buy hardware and software to evaluate their
competition, they don't do so by having IBM marketing and tech support staff
assigned to them for goodness sake. They buy and service the stuff through
third parties. Besides, what's secret about RPG for heavens sake - or at
least anything that a programmer could tell you. These were RPGers who were
writing applications and bridging packaged software (can't remember whose)
into their own custom built stuff.

You can chose to believe or not - your lack of belief will not change the
facts.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com