Look what happens when you do not proof what you send ;-)

J. Scott Carter
Programmer/Analyst
e-mail: Mailto:scarter@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 214.583.0348

It's not the destination that counts in life it's the journey. The journey
with the people we love is all that really matters. Such a simple truth so
easily forgotten.

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           SCarter@xxxxxxxxxxx |
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           midrange-l-bounces@x|
|         |           idrange.com         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           08/03/2003 05:44 PM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Midrange Systems    |
|         |           Technical Discussion|
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                              |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  splttoXML AP? Does it exist and is it even woth it if it
does not?                           |

we are starting to distribute reports to our user via pdf and now actually
to customers and vendors.
The way we do this is ok, but not very flexible.
we take the created and convert it to PDF, using the esend tool from ASC,
then e-mail this as an attachment to whomever.
What I am thinking about is a way to essentially keep the print file and
instead of doing an except or write to the record call a procedure that
writes to an XML stream file on the IFS.
the call would be somthing like this
spltoXML(tag:pointer to record format:file:record formatstart or end flag)
tag = xml tab
Pointer = assuming this is the best way to get the data from the calling
program to the procedure
file = I am assuming that I would need this to inspect the layout of the
print file
record format = to get the number of fields and their sizes and types to
analyze the pointer correctly
flag = to determin if this is the start or end of this section of XML
Is this even feasible with RPG?

on the pc side I would have the XSL style sheets necessary for whatever we
needed for conversion html PDF or any new form of media....