> Booth wrote:
> Joe, could some of the difference in how the question is asked be
cultural?
> There is a respectful tone to the questions and a willingness to listen It
> does sort of leap off the screen, though, doesn't it. We are just not used
> to that are we. :)
> So far as the questions being newbie questions...  isn't it joyful to see
> new iSeries programmers coming along?

In one aspect you're right, Booth.  The questions are asked respectfully.

But _most_ of the time, I figure out how to do these things _myself_, using
the resources that I have, usually in this order:
1) using my brain (or what's left of it),
2) Google,
3) IBM InfoCenter,
4) Ask a friend or an associate.

I generally try to find examples of how to do what I am trying to do, then
of newbie questions.  Just like my responses in the past to Murali, I expect
someone to have a basic knowledge of some things _before_ I will start
answering their questions.

If you haven't at least done the homework to understand _how_ to transfer a
file to the AS/400, then shame on you.  There are countless resources on the
internet for finding most of this information.

In my posting in response to Aniruddha's question yesterday, I gave him
several hints about how to do what he is trying to accomplish (I hope...)

Example:
Try searching for CPYFRMIMPF on Google and see how many hits you get.

Also try searching on Google (Advanced Search) for:

With ALL the words:  FTP
with the EXACT PHRASE: IFS
with AT LEAST ONE of the words:  iSeries AS/400

and see how many hits you get.

As I have said many times, there are programmers that have 20 years of
experience, and there are programmers that have ONE year of experience 20
times.  The latter tend to try to get everyone else to do their job for
them.

By taking MY time to answer some of these questions, I have made an
investment in helping them that won't necessarily HELP them in the long run.
..it will just help them over the current hump.  They need to learn how to
do research and figure it out themselves in order to retain the knowledge.

Respectfully,
Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935