Kemetech has a product that will import XLS files into physical files.  We
have it, but I haven't used that functionality yet, so I can't comment on
whether it's any good or not.

www.kemetech.com

Mike E.

                    "Steve Landess"

                    <steve_landess@xxxxxx       To:     "Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion"
                    l.com>                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                    Sent by:                    cc:
AniruddhaD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    midrange-l-bounces@xx       Subject:     Re: Urgent-
Query regarding DDMF
                    drange.com

                    07/22/2003 05:10 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Midrange Systems

                    Technical Discussion

>>  Aniruddha wrote:
> >  I am facing a problem. My task is to Copy a file from a Web
> > Server to an AS400 Server. I think it can be done using DDMF concept.
> > Suppose I have a file Test.xls in the Web Server whose IP address
> > is:192.168.240.250 and port is 8080. I need to copy to the native AS400
> > server.  I have created a DDMF file as follows:
> >
> > CRTDDMF FILE(ANITEST) RMTFILE(*NONSTD 'test.xls')
> > RMTLOCNAME('192.168.240.250' *IP) PORT(8080)
> >
> > Is it OK? Could you suggest all the steps for this purpose. My As400
> > machine is V5R2.

Aniruddha -

The short answer to your question is no.

AFAIK, DDM files are primarily for use between AS/400, iSeries, System/36,
System/38, and IBM Mainframes.  There used to be an implementation of DDM
that IBM sold for PC's, but the last time I used it was in the 1980's or
early 90's.

I'm making an assumption here, but in this case it looks like what you are
transferring is an Excel document (test.xls).

An Excel document is a PC file in ASCII representation that cannot be
loaded
directly into a DB2/400 file.  The only place you will be able to store
this
document on the AS/400 is in a folder in the IFS (Integrated File System).
I'm not sure what you plan to do with this document once you get it loaded
on the AS/400, unless you have a web server or FTP server running on the
AS/400 to serve up web pages and/or files for downloading.

Since this is a PC document in ASCII format, there is not much you can do
with it natively on the AS/400, unless you first save it as a comma,
tab-separated, or text file, then copy this intermediate representation of
the file to the AS/400, then use CPYFRMIMPF to copy the data within the
document to an AS/400 file.

To load this file into a folder in the IFS, several options exist.  Here
are
a few:

1) If you have NetServer running on the AS/400 and have designated any IFS
folders as shared, you can map a network drive from your PC to a shared
folder in the IFS and copy the file using Windows Explorer.

2) If you have the iSeries Navigator (Operations Navigator) client software
available, you can also copy files from/to the IFS (This is part of Client
Access Express, and I think this also requires Netserver to be running on
the AS/400).

3) If you have the FTP server running on the AS/400{STRTCPSVR SERVER
(*FTP)},
you can start an FTP session from the Web Server to the AS/400, and PUT the
file into an IFS folder via FTP.

4) If you have an FTP service running on the Web Server, you can start an
FTP session from the AS/400 to the Web Server and GET the file into a
folder
in the IFS via FTP.

5) If you have Scott Klements' FTPAPI software loaded on your AS/400, you
can do this from within an HLL program on the AS/400 as long as the file
resides on a machine that is an FTP server.  For more information about the
FTPAPI tool, see:  http://klement.dstorm.net/ftpapi/

If I have missed something or misinformed you about something (and I'm sure
I have done one or both), there are plenty of other participants on this
list that will throw in their two cents worth.

<grin>

Regards,

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas