From: Scott Klement [mailto:klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 9:52 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Logging user activity

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Kevin Russell wrote:

> On an AS400 v4r2, I need to keep a record of users logging in and
> logging out and then be able to query that information into a monthly
> report.  How can I do this or what ibm publication should I read to
> accomplish this?

This is how I do it:

   1) I have a data queue registered with the Job Notification Exit
         Point.
   2) I have a never-ending-program that reads entries from that data
         queue containing notifications of jobs starting and ending.
   3) When the data queue entry indicates that a job is STARTING, I
         call the Retrieve Job Information API to find out if it's
         an interactive job or not.   I only log interactive jobs.
         Then, I write the job information, including the current date
         & time to a PF.
   4) When the data queue entry indicates that a job is ENDING, I
         chain back to the record in my PF from when it started.
         If there's a record there, I put the current date & time into
         the "date/time logged off" fields of my PF.

The documentation for the exit point and the retrieve job info API are
in the V4R2 Work Management APIs manual found here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AM701/CCONTENTS?DT=19
980812102100&SHELF=QB3AYC01&DN=SC41-5878-01

(if that link is too long, you may need to copy/paste it into your
browser window)

Good Luck...