From: Steve Landess [mailto:steve_landess@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 10:10 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Cc: Joe Pluta
Subject: Re: New drive mapping question

Joe -

I don't think you necessarily have to have a domain server...I haven't tried
it, but if you just have a peer network named WORKGROUP, then you can
probably just just use WORKGROUP on your iSeries as the domain name...

To set the domain name on the iSeries, use the CHGTCPDMN command.

Example:
I have a Windows 2000 server that is my domain server, and the domain name
is slandess.com (private, not registered as a public domain...)  This
machine is also a DNS server, with an IP address of 10.0.0.29 on my internal
network (behind my firewall).

On the iSeries, here is what is in my TCP domain information:

                             Change TCP/IP Domain (CHGTCPDMN)

  Type choices, press Enter.

  Host name  . . . . . . . . . . .     'BUBBA'

  Domain name  . . . . . . . . . .     'slandess.com'

  Domain search list . . . . . . .     *DFT

  Host name search priority  . . .     *LOCAL          *REMOTE, *LOCAL,
*SAME
  Domain name server:
    Internet address . . . . . . .     '10.0.0.29'
                                       '24.93.35.62'
                                       '24.93.35.63'

Bottom
  F3=Exit   F4=Prompt   F5=Refresh   F10=Additional parameters   F12=Cancel
 F13=How to use this display        F24=More keys

10.0.0.29 is the IP address of my internal DNS server.  24.93.35.62 and
24.93.35.63 are the IP address of the RoadRunner DNS servers outside my
firewall.

In Ops Navigator, I had to specify SLANDESS as the domain name (WITHOUT the
.COM) before I could see my network shares under the QNTC folder in the IFS.
I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you specifically where to specify
the domain name in Ops Nav.

When I do a WRKLNK '/QNTC', then use option 5 to drill down into the
details, I can see all of the windows machines that have shares on them.  If
I put a 5 next to one of them, I can see the shared folders on that machine.

HTH

Steve