From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Alex A. Moore
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 9:53 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: 730 to 825 migration

>IMHO the risks introduced by doing a migration "not by the book" are
>_FAR_ greater than any perceived problems with V5R2.  V5R2 is very
>stable.  Just remember to review the V5R1 memo to users and PSP info
>along with V5R2, since you are skipping that release.

v5r2 rpg has bugs.  I recompiled my code on v5r2 and found 3 rpg compiler
bugs. 2 had ptf fixes that corrected the problem, the 3rd one IBM knew
nothing about.  I have been told we have to wait until the end of July for a
fix.

Anyone going to v5r2 should make sure their rpg code will compile on that
release. Esp since not all rpg fixes are on the cume.

-Steve Richter

Here is the rpg code that does not compile as of 6/30/03.  It causes the
compiler job to abend.

** a data struct with a ptr subfld.
dds1              ds                  qualified
d pData                           *

d BugProc         pr
p BugProc         b
d BugProc         pi

d FsEnt           ds                  likeds(ds1)
d FsData          s          32000a   based( FsEnt.pData )

d LsEnt           ds                  likeds(ds1)
d LsData          s          32000a   based( LsEnt.pData )
 /free
      if          %subst(FsData:5:3) > %subst(LsData:5:1) ;
      endif ;