> From: trevor perry
>
> I think refacing iSeries applications is a viable industry. I live
> in it. There is no "good" or "bad".

Yes there is good and bad, unless you're selling arms to both sides of the
conflict.  Of course you won't say screen scraping is bad, because that's
what newlook does!  It's a screen scraper!

I'll give you a straight answer: refacing the 5250 data stream is a bad
strategic technology, no matter how you do it.  It locks both the
applications and the UI into that dependency.  That's even before you add
the interactive tax.

Any product that relies on the 5250 data stream is a bad choice, and should
only be considered as a short-term throw away technology.  That being the
case, it better be cheap, and your users better get used to ugly, because
any time spent on customization is lost time that can only be used in
conjunction with that vendor's product.

On the other hand, any investment you make in JSP technology will then be
available to other projects - including non-iSeries projects, or
cross-platform efforts.  JSP is completely open, and as long as the JavaBean
interface is done correctly, it's completely reusable.

You don't want to use my tool?  Fine!  Buy my book, and do it yourself!
Everybody seems to forget - long before I was a product vendor, I was a
technology evangelist and I gave this stuff away for free.  The industry
came back with a big yawn in 2000 and told me they needed a tool to do it
for them, so I developed PSC/400.

It's not that hard, just a lot of details.  Or else bite the bullet and
redesign your applications from the ground up.  But whatever you do, don't
waste time and money going down the screen scraper road.  Because then, even
if you do get rid of the 5250 data stream, you're now locked into a tool
vendor's proprietary language.  That's pretty much the definition of going
from the frying pan to the fire.

Joe