Tim,

Just adding a trigger that does nothing will significantly impact
perofrmance. 3.8 million
writes to a file with a trigger in a day on the
"biggest" iSeries system seems like it should work
but my experience has been that it will be about 1/2
as fast as without the trigger for the same work.

David Morris

>>> truax@xxxxxxxxxxxx 06/12/03 3:52 PM >>>
Hey all,
I work in a massive 400 shop that moves boo-koo data all over the place.
I have a process that runs on a host-400 and reads a DDM file that
points to
the remote-400 file.
This process reads the remote-400 file and does minimal data massaging
and
then just writes/updates the record read to a file on the host-400.
The objective of this process is to take 3.8 million records from the
remote-400 to the host-400 on a daily basis as quickly as possible.
Someone wants to apply a trigger on the host-400 receiving file that
will
perform another record addition to another host-400 file when a record
addition occurs to the initial/original host-400 file.

I would like to know the following:
The 400's I am talking about are currently at V5R2 level and they are
the
biggest ones available.
The main point is, I want to add a trigger program that will do the
above
mentioned thing [add a record when another is added, or update a record
when
another is updated] on the host-400 file.  Currently it is desirable to
continue the BLOCKING that occurs in this job.
Will the addition of the trigger cause the host-400 system to stop
BLOCKING
when writing/updating the file[s], and thereby degrade performance
significantly?...

Tim Truax