> From: Tom Liotta
>
> Same symptoms of hourglass, Explorer hangs, 'access denied',
> etc.; there just wasn't any NetServer involved. I suspect the
> answer lies deep within Microsoft networking.
>
> The good news from my side is only that eventually it worked.
> Sure wish I knew why.

Thanks Tom (and everyone).  I begin to agree that it's a "Microsoft thing".
That's why I would never even consider using this box as a mission critical
system (and this is honestly not meant to start a flame session, Walden).
I can't SEE what's happening, and it won't tell me.

At least when I write a program in RPG or even in Java on the AS/400, I can
breakpoint and debug and step through the sucker.  I can nearly always find
my problem.  And to be honest, with most decent Windows IDEs I can do the
same.  But when the OS acts up in a manner like this, it's nearly always a
final answer of "reinstall", and I just can't afford that.

That's why I have so many machines here.  One is a "play" machine, one is a
"work" machine, and one is my laptop.  The "work" machine supposedly only
has production programs on it, and yet it still blew up.  In all fairness, I
was running beta WDSC code, but you'd hope that even beta code wouldn't be
able to hose a machine to this level.

Anyway, enough ranting.  The system is functioning "well enough", and as
long as I don't need a share to the root (something I really don't need if
I've set up my folders intelligently) then I can move on.

Joe