> we are currently implementing a hot-standby solution (Datamirror) and one

> of the issues is the switch over to the backup system.
> In a planned switch case, I want to do an endtcpifc for the active
> ethernet interfaces (on the production box) and vary off these
> lines (let's say ip 10.10.10.1 and 2).
> On the backup machine, I'll do the opposite and start interfaces with
> 10.10.10.1 and 2.
> Would this be enough TCP/IP-wise and what else would I have to think of.
> The backup box should take the role of the production box
> TCP/IP-wise.

You may need to clear the ARP-cache in the router/switch nearest the
primary server as the switch will remember the primary server's MAC-address
until the ARP-timeout value is reached (normally 5 to 60min).
If that switch is bypassed due to other communication routes after the
switchover then this should not cause any problems.

Regards

Stefan Tageson
Intentia Consulting Sverige AB
Propellergatan 1, SE-211 19 Malmö, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)40 691 35 00
Cell: +46 (0)733 913 813
Fax: +46 (0)40 691 3900
E-mail: stefan.tageson@xxxxxxxxxxx