Loyd,

There is a specific promotion described in announcement letter 303-072
which has a ten per cent discount on 7xx to 8xx upgrades (to 810 or 825).
Upgrades shipped in the second quarter will get the 10%, the discount
declines to 2% in the third quarter.

You can find announcement letters on IBMLink:
www.ibmlink.ibm.com
Select the US, then select announcements.  You can search the
announcements by date or key word.

If you wish to receive IBM's announcements, you can enroll at:
https://isource.ibm.com/world/index.shtml
You can select an area of interest (like iSeries) so that you don't get
deluged.  You would receive an email or two a week with links to all of
IBM's customer announcements.

Sometimes there are both customer pricing announcements (which we can all
see) and business partner announcements (which only business partners can
see).  Frequently the business partners receive rebates or discounts
which we don't know about and which do not need to be reflected in the
selling price.

25 per cent is a fairly standard discount, but I don't believe that that
was entirely from an IBM promotion.  The business partners have some
margin to play with and generally you should insist on a discount off of
list price, unless you BP is providing no-charge services as part of the
sale.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse