From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 21:16:15
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: as400 as a samba/nt client

hello all, im new to the list and not really an as400 admin - just have a question for which i cant find an answer.

is it possible to mount a samba/windows nt file share to a local folder on the as400?

we have on our as400 a web app that generates reports and such. the reports get archived on the 400 and are occasionally accessed via the web app. since space is getting tight on the 400 we need to move some of those reports off to a nas device but have them still appear to the web app as though they are local. we have two linksys gigadrives with 400 gig of storage each that pc's (win2k) and servers (linux) use for backups, storage, etc, on the local lan. what i would like to do is move those archived reports to those devices. the hurdle is they only support samba/windows file sharing and not nfs.

ive seen mention of /QNTC and tried on our 400 the command wrklnk '/QNTC/*' but get nothing back. ive also seen in one of the menus ' Create NWS Storage Space'? could that be a possible avenue to head down.

as for details on the 400 - its running version 5.? release at least and is pretty up to date on ptf's and such. we have an as400 guy on staff but he mostly only knows RPG stuff and not really system maintenance/administration.

is there any hope of getting something like this working or will i be buying a nas device that does nfs soon? speed isnt a big issue here as the reports are usually accessed by less than 5 people all over wan links (as400 and nas are on same 100 megabit lan) less than once per day probably.