 OK.  Found my notes from IBM on Apache that they gave me back before V5R1
was announced.  I'll give it to you here verbatim:

iSeries Specific strategy:

- Port to the iSEries ILE environment
- Provied equivalent function to the existing HTTP Server for iSeries
(original HTTP SErver)
- Add iSeries integration (user profile, SSL, validation list, LDAP, etc...)
- Eventually replace HTTP Server for iSEries
- Source code initially comes from ASF
- Then we add the iSeries customization
- Then we subject it to iSEries development and test processes

OS/400 differentiators from APACHE on other platforms:

- Enchanced graphical configuration and administration
- Configuration APIs
- Serve from most iSeries file systems
- EBCDIC/ASCII code page conversions
- Support for ILE, REXX, Java, Net.Data and PASE CGI Programs
- Persistent CGI
- User defined Methods
- WebDAV
- iSeries Security: Requests run under user profiles
- iSeries Security: user profile validation lists
- Secure Sockets Layer for https transactions, including Transport Layer
Security (TLS)
- LDAP configuration
- Local and dynamic caching - static documents
- Triggered cache manager - caching of dynamic documents
- Use asynchronous I/O
 - allows use of persistent HTTP connections without impacting performance
- Automatic log rollover archiving
- NLS enabled Error Log and configuration errors
- Automatci Telnet denial of service detection and prevention
- Web Server Search Engine
- Servicabliity enhancements and support for TRCTCPAPP