> everybody,
> I figured it out. On a brand-new AS/400 the FTP defaults are set to
> unix-style (or IFS). Problem solved.

I think it's been since V4R5 that the default namefmt is now set to 1, thus you
must use the 'rest-of-the-world' style of object naming, i.e.
/dir/subdir/subdir/file.txt for IFS objects and /QSYS.LIB/MY.LIB/MYFILE.FILE
for 'native' object access. Prior to this point, it did default to namefmt 0
for native object naming.

IIRC this was switched to bring the iSeries - with the namefmt defaulting now
to 1 - closer to how the rest of the world implemented the response to the LIST
subcommand. This IMHO is purely cosmetic, as the RFC959 (the RFC for FTP)
doesn't actually state the format the response must be in, apart from the
normal control flags, i.e. each line of the returned file list data must start
with '250-' or '250 ' if it's the only or last line of a set, etc. The actual
representation of the file 'description' (the bit that follows the 250x control
code) is left entirely to the server implementation.

You can of course, like others have already noted, switch the namefmt on a
per-connection basis so that you can navigate the library system by using the
'quote site namefmt 0' FTP sub-commands straight after the initial connection.
Or you can do what you did, which is to set the namefmt globally on FTP server
settings. Or as a third option, use the FTP exit-points to do it on a userid
basis.

--phil