With such a wide range of printers, you will never get all locations to
print
the same for every application. It's not the 400, it will be the variation
on
how the printer itself is configured, in which data stream, fonts, margins,
and paper control. To start with, I would not waste your time on any
printer not in the list in IBM's Knowledge Base
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/acf2ee1e9d64b16e8625680b00020389/b4
4a2cf4ba778d83862568250053649f?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,ascii,printer
If you have departments buying their own printers, make an "Approved List",
and include only the ones you have tested. I've gone thru 4 different
rollouts
of pc's & printers for different corps, and the wide variety of unapproved
printers was a nightmare. We got the CEO to co-sign the list!
This list has the "tested" printers that work.

Trays - how is the print programs specifying trays - ovrprtf?.
Are the form sizes "standard"? like 80 column, 132 column, 198 column?
Form length standard?
Are you accessing more than drawer 1 & 2?   envelopes?  drawers 3,4,5?
Is one spool attempting to use multiple drawers?
Any duplex?

jim