First up - I am a vendor selling the market leading Automated Testing
product for the iSeries - TestBench, but I feel (and I hope fellow list
members do to) I can offer advice about what our products cover but also
answer the question posed.

A typical iSeries application will consist of between 30-60% batch
programs and the normal record and playback tools will hardly touch the
surface when testing these.

Areas and conditions that we feel should be tested include:

1.       Parameters that are passed during the execution
2.       Data Queues
3.       The chronological updates of the database of each and every
part of the test - not just the beginning and the end.
4.       Set data rules for the program and check these have been
complied with.

Another feature of the products is to be able to extract and protect the
test data so a smaller version of the database can be used and either
rolled back to a checkpoint when an error has been fixed and test again,
or to start from the same staring point when rerunning the test.

This greatly reduces time preparing test data, and is relevant to Batch
testing as well as Interactive testing

Please contact me off-list of you require any further information or
have any questions.

Jamie Coles

jcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxx