Scott,

That seems to solve my confusions. I was assuming that anything with the term "cryptographic" meant that I needed crytographic support.

Thank you.

Peter

Scott Klement wrote:

The "Cryptographic Support" hardware, and licensed program are NOT
required for SSL.

What *IS* required is called "Cryptographic Access Provider" and "Client
Encryption" licensed programs.

They are 5769-AC3 and 5769-CE3  (at least, that's what they were for me at
V4R5)  and, although they aren't included on the OS install CD, they are
free-of-charge from IBM.

Or at least -- they are in the USA.   Different countries have different
laws on what kind of encryption you can use, and whether or not it can be
used across links that go out of the country.

I'm sure that's why IBM doesn't include the crypto support with OS/400.
They want to know who you are and what country, etc, to make sure they're
conforming to the appropriate laws.   There are also different levels of
encryption that you can get.   The AC3 product I listed above supprots 128
bit encryption.  There are AC1 and AC2 products that support lower levels
of encryption.

Call your local business partner and ask them what you need for SSL.  I'm
sure they'll be happy to tell you what products you need, and order them
for you.