> From: James Rich
>
> 1. You can distribute mysql code with proprietary code (normally this is
> not allowed by the GPL) if you buy another license, i.e. they
> will relicense the code differently to you.

So I can't use it to develop for-sale products unless I license it.

> 2. GPL code is not normally waranteed - in fact none is that I know of.
> But mysql will warantee their product to you for a fee.  If a warantee
> makes you sleep better, you can buy one.

I don't run mission critical software on something that's not warranteed.

> 3. If you would like to support the development of mysql you can do so buy
> purchasing a copy.  This is the same as just donating money to the
> project.

Yeah, I understand that.  Just being complete in my quote.

So, MySQL is free as long as you don't sell anything that uses it or want to
run anything mission critical on it.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement to
add it to OS/400, but hey that's me.  Personally, I like JTOpen's JDBC
interface.  And if I want a truly powerful free database, I'll use SAP DB.
Both provide full support for JDBC2.0, including scrollable updatable
cursors, and both are completely free.

Joe