Da: Dan [mailto:dbcemid@xxxxxxxxx]
Inviato: venerdì 28 marzo 2003 16.21
A: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Oggetto: Re: next baby step in SQL: start using join

Ok, guys, I'm seeing two schools of thought here.  Dave & Gord say to let
the WHERE do the
"joining", whereas Rick suggests using JOIN and taking care of file
placement in the join.

Gord also mentions that using WHERE will cause the query optimizer to
determine the best path.

I spruced up Rick's example and came up with:
 Select  All     T01.JOBNUM, T01.REVNUM, T01.PHSCD,
                   T01.CCPNUM, T01.CCPAMT, T02.CSTTYP
  From           PCPESTCCP T01
            join PCPJOBHDR T03 on
                  T01.JOBNUM = T03.JOBNUM
            join PCPTBLCCP T02 on
                  T03.CMPNUM = T02.CMPNUM
              and T01.CCPTYP = T02.TBLID
              and T01.CCPNUM = T02.CCPNUM
  Where         T01.JOBNUM = '3ACM0170'
            and T02.CSTTYP = 'C'

I suppose it gets into personal opinion, but, in this example anyway, I find
using the JOIN makes
it more apparent that you are joining files and how you are joining them.
(vs. using WHERE to do
the join.)

Comments and advice are welcome & appreciated.

- Dan

--- "Smith, Dave" <DSmith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dan:
>
> The join using the WHERE is no different than the join using the JOIN. (A
rose by any other
> name....)  Within my embedded SQL, I like to use the JOIN operator because
it's consistent with
> the LEFT OUTER JOIN and EXCEPTION JOIN operators.   I must say the more
SQL I learn, the more I