My strategy has been s follows:

1. I read the weekly PTF newsletter to see if there's anything new that
will impact my company.  Only load individual PTFs, including HIPERs, if
I'm encountering a specific problem and need a PTF to fix it.  The
exception is that I will try to review & apply security PTFs
individually.  This is the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' strategy.
Hey, a HIPER may be a HIPER but I'm still not going to load it unless it
addresses a problem I already have or feel I might encounter.

2. CUMs & group PTFs .. I do like to stay relatively current, but not
bleeding edge.  When a new CUM is announced, I promptly ignore it for a
couple of months.  Then I'll permanently apply the existing PTFs before
development system.  Do any specific testing if there's a problem I want
fixed or a new feature I might use.  Otherwise let it sit in normal
usage on the dev box for at least a month.  Then permanently apply the
existing PTFs on the production system.  And only then will I
temporarily apply the current CUM/groups to the prod box.

3. New OS releases are handled much the same way CUMs are.  I do issue a
permanent apply of existing PTFs before doing the OS upgrade to clean
things up.  I just do it about a week ahead of time so it doesn't impact
the timing of the upgrade itself.

I'm actually loading V5R1 CUM3007 on our prod box today.  It's been
running w/o problems on our dev box since late Feb.

Oh, regarding saves: The prod box gets a GO SAVE/21 weekly so I always
have a current SAVSYS to back out/recover from.  The dev box only has
*ALLUSER type data saved regularly so I specifically do a 21 or just a
SAVSYS before any major loading of PTFs.

One nice thing about this strategy is that the IPLs to apply PTFs are
generally not that bad as you're never apply too many PTFs at any one
time.

There are exceptions.  The driver for doing CUM 3007 was to get the PTFs
for Type2 IFS directories.  We have tens of thousands of IFS files in a
couple thousand directories, a fair bit of which is served up by the
(original) web server using Net.Data macros to read the directories and
create dynamic web pages listing IFS docs for the users.  Anything at
all to improve that performance is worth doing.  Anyway, the exception
comes into play that for V5R1 support of the Type2 dirs, the relative
PTFs need to be permanently applied.  So after the CUM is loaded I'll
permanently apply the relative PTFs needed for Type2 dir support (vs. my
preference which would be to leave them temporarily applied).

Of course, I do this in my SPARE time...

- John