Thanks Al!  Yes, that was it and unfortunately I was unable to recover and had
to do SAVLIB from the 400 and RSTLIB to the iSeries.  We lost a days worth of
transactions, but no big deal.

We're a waste water treatment facility, so as long as people keep flushing
their toilets, we'll be in business. We'll be withholding payment from our
consultant.

>>> barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/26/03 08:29AM >>>

What I said is that if you were journaling, the default for the SAVCHGOBJ's
OBJJRN parameter is *NO.  You need to either change the default, or recover
from the journal receivers, assuming that they still exist.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      "Ted Barry"

                      <TBARRY@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      st.ca.us>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: Burned by
SAVCHGOBJ
                      midrange-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      03/25/2003 06:23 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

My problem could be journaling related.  Someone posted earlier (I think)
that if I'm journaling and using SAVCHGOBJ, the two don't mix, is that
right?

If so, for those libraries in question, the journal receivers have been
saved and restored to the best of my knowledge.  Do I then, need to restore
using opt. 3 from the Work with Forward Recovery screen?  Need a little
help here.

>>> barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 03/25/03 02:42PM >>>

SAVCHGOBJ was added to the architecture in the middle of the life of the
System/38.  It could have been in the same release as journaling R04M01, or
later.  It has always had an OBJJRN parameter, and the default was always
no.

Availability was always a problem on the System/38, and journaling was
viewed as an additional availability feature.  Today, journaling is not
really used for availability, with the exception that it provides the
underpinnings for the HA vendors.  Journaling is required for commitment
control and selected rules of referential integrity.

Access path journaling was added in R07M00, and was never highly
implemented.  Today, access path journaling is almost completely replaced
with SMAPP.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                    To:       "Midrange
Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      midrange-l-bounces@x        cc:

                      idrange.com                 Subject:  RE: Burned by
SAVCHGOBJ

                      03/25/2003 05:34 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Yup...  Last I checked SAVCHGOBJ (looong while back on V4R?) SAVJRNOBJ (or
similar parm) default is *NO.. apparently on assumption You're saving the
journals instead of the objects themselves.  LOTTA
would-a/could-a/should-a's involved, so probably some (multiple) causes
involved in this particular situ.  Meaning SAVCHGOBJ is almost certainly
NOT
to be the root of the problem (although, 'course, there may be VERY RARE
bugs).