It appears that you can use Acrobat, in its full product form (not Reader), in Visual Basic, etc., via OLE automation. I don't have all the details of the implementation, but there is a Save method for a document. And you can save the document as an RTF type, which will give you the text only. But this could allow someone to completely automate the process, possibly involving something like MS Word, which understands RTF, or a 400 app that can extract text from RTF - it's a standard format, after all.

HTH

Vern