Hi all

I recently wrote a simple routing program to allow for two different sets of application users to run in two different subsystems. The situation is that the customer needs to be able to shut down the interactive access to the applications for each group of users.

To accomplish this we have all the workstations allocated to QINTER at *SIGNON and via routing data in their job description and a routing entry in QINTER transfer them to the appropriate subsystem. The program I wrote merely does a TFRJOB and monitors for whether there is an error transferring to the target subsystem and signs them off if it is not active.

Basically:      PGM
                TFRJOB (TGTSBS)
                MONMSG (msgid) DO
                SNDPGMMSG
                SIGNOFF
                ENDDO
                ENDPGM

One of the quirks of this approach is that when they sign on a second time (i.e. start a second session with the same user profile) the message that their message queue is already allocated comes up twice. It appears that the system attempts to allocate the message queue as the routing step is started in each subsystem (terminology ?) and displays the ,essage that it cant allocate it each time, (along with various other program messages referring to routing steps, starting jobs and TFRJOB).

I did some testing on the program to try and understand what was happening and use RCVMSG to suppress the display of these messages if it was possible, but came to the conclusion that:

- the message queue allocation is performed before the routing program is invoked
- this happens each time a workstation sessions is started in a subsystem
- once the TFRJOB is executed the routing program no longer controls the job so it can't receive the second set of messages

I tried with something along the lines of:

                PGM
                RCVMSG (1)
                TFRJOB (TGTSBS)
                MONMSG (msgid) DO
                SNDPGMMSG
                SIGNOFF
                ENDDO
                RCVMSG  (2)
                ENDPGM

My testing indicated that RCVMSG (1) does not occur until after the messages have already been received and displayed. RCVCMSG (2) is never executed if the TFRJOB is successful.

Is anyone familiar enough with what I am trying to do to offer me a work around or point out where I am wrong, or is this something they will just have to live with.

Apologies for the length of this email :)

Regards
Evan Harris

Regards
Evan Harris