I'm having a problem with (users and) numeric entry; I'm trying to figure
out how to make numeric fields display left-justified (or I think that's
what I want to do).

The problem: here's what shows up in an update screen:

Amount

  1200

   900

 12500

where "Amount" is the subfile column heading and "1200" is $12.00, etc.

Users from the PC world expect a field to be cleared as they re-enter data.
So they tab to the "Amount" field and start typing; let's say they want to
change $12.00 to $14.00.  The problem is they forget about pressing Field
Exit, and here's what they get:

Amount

140000

Instead of $14.00, it's now $1,400.00.  I've tried explaining that this is a
collections problem but the user is unsympathetic to my attempt to boost
revenue.  Since my fields are 9 digits/2 decimal, the potential for a VERY
large revenue increase (to some; "error" to others) exists.

I've considered several options:

1.  Require a decimal point (the workstation controller would return an
error, but this would require more entry space (more digits and I'd have to
move my error message subfile up one line so the WS controller error isn't
overlaid by the error message SF) and represents a change from the system's
current-but-may-be-misguided numeric entry convention).

2.  Change the numbers to alpha, display for update, edit for validity, and
convert back to numeric (the "1400" would completely overlay the "1200", but
decreasing the numeric of digits remains a problem).

3.  Have an output-only field for the old amount and an input-only field the
new amount (not enough room).

4.  Implement reasonableness testing (this is a possibility).

5.  Make the fields "FE required" (I'd have some grumpy users).

6.  Call Pluta Brothers :-) and get out of green screen :-(.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Reeve