On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 MWalter@hanoverwire.com wrote:

> This is exactly what I'm looking for. The job in question does run from the
> console and our normal system save does an IPL on Friday night anyhow. This
> will work. Do I need to pass anything in the two parms?

Hmmm.. I haven't ever called QMNSAVE directly, so I'm not certain about
the parms.   (I've just used as reference material for writing my own
backup code)

Looking at the source, it appears that the first parm is default values
for the various commands that get prompted, and the second parm is sent
back to you with either Y or N indicating whether the process was
cancelled.

On my copy (V4R5, so yours might be different) the first parm is laid out
like this:
     CHGVAR VAR(&MSGQMD) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 1 1))
     CHGVAR VAR(&PROMPT) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 4 1))
     CHGVAR VAR(&CHECK) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 5 1))
     CHGVAR VAR(&DEV1) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 6 10))
     CHGVAR VAR(&DEV2) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 16 10))
     CHGVAR VAR(&DEV3) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 26 10))
     CHGVAR VAR(&DEV4) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 36 10))
     CHGVAR VAR(&OPTDEV) VALUE(%SST(&DFT 108 1))

The &MSGQMD doesnt appear to be used.
&PROMPT appears to be whether it prompts the user for values on the
various save commands.
&CHECK seems to control the "CLEAR()" parameter of the various SAVxxx
      commands.   Y=CLEAR(*ALL), N=CLEAR(*NONE)
&DEV1 - 4 = device names for the tape drives
&OPTDEV = Y for optical or N otherwise  (controls the OPTFILE parm of
      SAVLIB & friends)

As I said... I've not tried running QMNSAVE directly myself, but rather
used it to determine which commands I needed to execute to do a save
in my own CL program.   But, it appears that if these are set correctly,
you can just call it.... you'll have to test that yourself.